Meatball Soup recipes contain crusty bread and orzo pasta in addition to the meatballs and veggies, so in order to ensure your best fitness results we’ve left those high-calorie, high-carb ingredients out of this delicious recipe. Instead we’ve filled this comforting soup with wholesome ingredients like sweet potato, chickpeas, kale, tomatoes and onion. Serve hot and enjoy!
Here’s what you need…
• 1 lb. loose Italian sausage
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 2 yellow onions, diced
• 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ½ cup dry white wine
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
• 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 (5 oz) package baby kale
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Form the sausage into 40 small meatballs using about a teaspoon of sausage per meatball. Place the meatballs on one of the prepared baking sheets and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl toss the diced sweet potato with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Spread the sweet potato over the remaining baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
4. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, garlic, Italian seasoning, sea salt and red pepper flakes. Partially cover and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are soft. Increase the heat to high.
5. Deglaze the pot with the wine and cook until evaporated. Stir in the broth, tomatoes and sweet potato and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, 8-12 minutes.
6. Stir in the meatballs, chickpeas and the kale until wilted. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 397 calories, 19g fat, 26g carbohydrate, 705mg sodium, 7g sugar, 9g fiber, and 20g protein.
Share this to motivate your friends, family and co-workers!
Here at So Cal Boot Camp our heart-rate based interval workouts are scientifically designed to deliver maximum fat burning result in the shortest amount of time by generating an afterburn effect which increases your metabolic rate for up to 37 hours after your workout.
Our comprehensive training programming allows for simultaneous improvements in strength, metabolic function, and cardiovascular endurance while achieving effective fat-loss and also allowing for active recovery.
Your first workout is FREE. Click below to book now.